Tuesday, February 08, 2011

ASL Red Barricades: Today the Volga, tomorrow the Vistula (Pt. VIII)

Note to readers: This post won't make a lick of sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the Advanced Squad Leader game system.


Dave Hauth and I are engaged in a playing of RBCGI:  Into the Factory.  I'm the Reds.  He's the Jerries.

We're each maintaining a blog correspondence as the game progresses.  We've a Gentleman's Agreement that neither of us will read his opponent's blog until given express permission to do so. 

Readers are encouraged to comment!  Speak your piece! Just be sure not to inadvertently reveal any information about Dave's plan to me or vice-versa. 

You can read earlier episodes of my account:
You can read Dave's blog here

"When defeat is inevitable, it is wisest to yield"

The above quotation is from the Roman rhetorician, Quintillian.  I find it sufficient to express my sentiments now that I have conceded defeat in this great game that Dave and I have played.

Day 8 was a nightmare for me. Dave's purchase of Assault Engineers (on-board, no less!) caught me by surprise and I had no answer for the overwhelming firepower that he brought to bear.

He was careful not to activate my reserve units, which meant I was fighting a battle at a 1 to 2 disadvantage.

And while I did my best dealing out 6, 8, or 12 firepower attacks, I was subjected to attacks of 24 and 30 firepower, directed by ruthless German leaders.  It was hopeless.  A count of CVP at the point of concession showed that Dave was on track not to double, but triple my score.

Approximate perimeter at the point of concession
I hate to quit if there is even a slight chance of victory, but as my forces dissolved around me, I had to face the music.  It's been a great game.  I've enjoyed the hell out of it.

I think I made a couple mistakes that contributed to my defeat.
  • I was too cavalier with my big tanks.  I lost 4 of my 6 best tanks due to carelessness.  (Please refer to the Aftermath of Day 6.)
  • On the last game day, I should have purchased my reinforcements on-board.  I think I was still playing a game of position, while Dave had correctly made the transition to a game of attrition.
But none of this mitigates the fact that Dave played a great game.  Come October, we might start a game of RBCGIII with some modifications that we hope will address issues of balance.

Thanks for following this game, everybody.  Maybe I'll see some of you at Enfilade this May.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Well played, sir, by both of you. It's so rare for this campaign to go so long, and your notes made it a very fun and informative read.

Ah, life in the factories! How many hours did I pass with the lads, in someone's basement, behind the furnace, hunched over the board, trying to decide, HIP or concealed?