|Another helping of candied yams?|
Instead, I choose to co-opt the Thanksgiving holiday and wield it for my own purpose; specifically, to express gratitude to the Great Whatever. After all, what harm in adhering to the spirit behind Thanksgiving, rather than the sordid reality?
And so, to that end, I put forth this list of items for which I am eternally grateful:
- Maty Bombay Diop Cariaga, my wife. Maty is the best stroke of blind luck that ever landed in my undeserving lap. We've been together now for nearly five years. Just like all couples, we've had our ups and downs, but never does a day go by when I don't say "Merci, Mon Dieu."
- Tribe of Ross. Despite the ravages of time, the passage of many loved ones, and even a little internecine feuding, the Tribe of Ross remains strong and united. That won't change. Ever.
- Friends. So many I can't possibly name them all. Friends from today and from yesterday. Coworkers, bandmates, and former lovers. My life has been a catalog of good and decent people.
- Travels. I've set foot on five continents, visited 23 countries and 23 states. I've seen sights that becalm the heart, that roil the sensibilities, that stupefy, horrify, humble and amaze. I wouldn't trade any of it for any amount of money.
- Home. My house in Hawthorne. In Portland. In Oregon. The best place in the world.
To do so would be an affront to God.
Best wishes to all on this Thanksgiving holiday!