Friday, January 11, 2008

Folks


My folks and I ain't got no truck with strangers and their ways;
The things they bring is just plain bad; it seems that way these days;
My folks just want to live our lives away from all that fuss;
The world out there don't make no sense to simple folk like us;

My folks all dress like I do; my folks all talk the same;
My folks don't frown when I get drunk at Friday's football game;
My folks don't care for schoolin' much; our horse sense works just fine;
We just can't see there's too much need to cross the county line;

One time when I was just a boy, the valley floor caught fire;
The wind came, pushing flames ahead; it ate the world entire;
The tankers dropped the borate salts to try to save the land;
But nothing stopped the hungry flames from burning down to sand;

I 'spect the flames will come again and burn us to the ground;
But 'til that day we'll just keep on, a-headin' as we're bound;
My folks just want to live our lives away from all that fuss;
That world out there don't make no sense to simple folk like us;

1 comment:

Shus li said...

Interesting poem. It reminds me of my own hometown, Podunk Oregon, home of narrow minds and small dreams. It also reminds me of a drive through eastern and Washington and Oregon in 2004. Re-elect Bush signs everywhere. Like a parallel universe.

Peace,

Shusli