Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Merci, mon Dieu...

With apologies to Eugene at the Pudgy Indian, I want to write today about things for which I am thankful. Regardless of the repugnant intentions of that bunch of hideous prudes that took advantage of the mercy and compassion of the Native Americans that saved them from starvation, I believe it is good to have a day to express gratitude. So, let's co-opt their genocide day, and make it our own: a day when we can say "thanks" to the Great Whatever for all of the blessings that have been bestowed upon each of us.

So here is my (cliché, perhaps, and trite) list of things for which I am thankful:
  1. Maty gets home tonight! My wife has been in Burkina Faso since late September, and I haven't seen her since I left there in the third week of October. The house is clean, I'm buying fresh flowers to put on the dining room table, and I'm picking her up from the airport at 10:45 pm.

  2. Scottie McClellan grew a conscience. Yesterday, it came to light that the forth-coming memoirs of Scottie (the Duck) McClellan, former press secretary in the Bush administration, reveal that Junior Bush himself was involvedin the coverup that followed the leaking of Valerie Plame's name. We already knew that Karl Rove, Scooter Libby, and Dick Cheney were directly involved. But now, in addition to pathetic Andrew Card, Scottie fingers Junior. I hope Special Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is paying attention.

  3. Senator Gordon Smith is polling at around 33% approval. That's a bad number for an incumbent before the campaign has even started. Well, Senator, respectfully, when you shake hands with the devil, you usually end up with jizz on your hand.

  4. Portland, Oregon is still the best place in the world to live.
And, of course, I'm most grateful for my family and friends, and for all of you, who read this blog now and then. Happy holidays to all.

No comments: