Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Hiatus 2011


In order to have any chance whatsoever of writing well, one must never relent in the quest to improve, to learn, to discover.  With that in mind, I have this summer enrolled in a fiction-writing class taught by Ryan Blacketter at PCC

The chief assignment for the class is to write a short story.  Mr. Blacketter has firm and well-founded opinions on what constitutes good writing.  He's well-versed in great literature, referencing Hemingway, McCarthy, Flannery O'Connor, Melville.  Folks, let me tell you, I'm swimming in some deep water.

Works of genius set a very high bar for dabbling keyboard-tappers like me, but let it not be said, by God, that I'd back down from a challenge!

This windy and unnecessary preamble is just to inform visitors to this blog that posting will be less frequent over the next several weeks while I toil to create something that doesn't shame me in front of my classmates.  When I finish the story, of course, I'll post it here.  Hopefully, when you read it, you'll agree that my posting lapses contributed to something worthwhile.

Enjoy summer!  

No comments: