Wednesday, May 05, 2010

2010 Primary ballots are here

It's primary time, here in Oregon.  The big race, of course, is to see who will replace Ted Kulongoski in the governor's mansion in 2011.  I am undecided between former governor John Kitzhaber and former Secretary of State Bill Bradbury.  An informal poll of my (mostly liberal) neighbors indicates that it should be a close primary contest between those two gentlemen.  Two of my neighbors expressed support for Governor Kitzhaber; two others indicated they would be voting for Secretary Bradbury.  (And then, there's my neighbor down the street with the Chris Dudley sign in his yard...)

Well, I'm off the hook for the primary, since, at the moment, I am registered in the Working Families party.  It's just as well, since I couldn't really make up my mind.  It's almost a certainty that I will be voting for the Democratic nominee in November, regardless of which man gets the nod.

Other than that, I took the lazy man's way out and voted for "down ticket" positions according to endorsements made by the Oregon League of Conservation Voters.

Here's how I went:
  • Ballot Measure 68, Yes.  Amends the Oregon Constitution to allow Oregon public school districts to use bond proceeds to buy land and other assets, and would create a state matching fund to help finance school district capital costs. The measure would have no financial effect on either state or local government expenditures or revenues. 

  • Ballot Measure 69, Yes.  Amends Constitution: Continues and modernizes authority for lowest cost borrowing for community colleges and public universities.

  • Metro President, Bob Stacey.

  • Portland City Commission, Position 2, Nick Fish.

  • Portland City Commission, Position 3, Dan Saltzman.

  • Multnomah County Sheriff, Andre DanielsonThe dream won't die, Andre.  Not as long as I can wave the flag.
Give this man a badge and a gun and let him get to work!

It all shapes up for an interesting November.  Early speculation is that Republicans will make big gains in the US Congress and across the country.  I withhold judgment.  People may be unhappy with the Democrats, but I don't think that means that they are therefore suddenly enamored of Republicans

We'll see...

1 comment:

Stewart King said...

I imagine the Rs will make some gains jut because there are a lot more Ds running for re-election, many of them for the first time. But I'd be amazed if control of either house changes. As you say, people are unhappy with Congress but that doesn't mean they are going to run out and vote for Republicans.