Thursday, November 17, 2011

Maty to the rescue


Some of life's most unpleasant moments are those when one is confronted with the adverse consequences of one's own behavior. 

You do things, knowing that you should not, that there will be detrimental results if you continue to do them.  But you continue on, deferring a necessary change in your behavior, trusting that Judgement Day is still out in the vague and foggy tomorrow.

And then one day, Judgement Day arrives and you find yourself in a fix.  You're left devastated and feeling like a fool.

I had one of those moments, recently.

As part of a health and wellness program promoted by my health insurance company, I submitted a blood sample to a lab for analysis.  The results that came back were a wake-up call.  My blood sugar level was high.  I'm at high-risk for diabetes.

The news really hit home.  I've known for years that my eating habits were unhealthy.  Too much processed food.  Too much starch.  Not enough vegetables.  Well, now it is time to pay the piper.

Maty and I talked about it the other night.

"I feel like such a fool, honey," I said.  "I can't believe I've been so stupid about this.  I should have--"

The look on her face prevented me from continuing.  Both gentle and stern.

"Honey," she said, "love yourself."

I thought about it.

She said it again.  "Love yourself."

I thought about it some more.

I don't deserve this woman.

1 comment:

Jcarnini said...

Of course you do Dade
Love Yourself