Sunday, August 07, 2011

Heartbreak in the elevator


There are few places in my world that are as heart-breaking to visit as Doernbecher Children's Hospital. 

A young boy I know is today, this fine day in August, in a hospital bed recovering from surgery.  Last night, I went to visit him.  As I negotiated the maze of buildings, sky bridges and towers that together comprise Oregon Health Sciences University, I encountered many drawn and haggard faces in the halls, in the lobbies, at the windows that look out over the terrestrial galaxy formed by the lights of the city below.

A message scrawled with permanent blue ink on the inside of an elevator door caught my eye.  It read:

"They won't let me see you.  I hope you know I love you."

Tough read.  Tough place. 

It is futile to seek answers in a such a place. 

No comments: